Friday 6 March 2009

Rescued baby kangaroo ("pinky")

A friend of mine was on the road recently and found herself taking a detour to collect a young marsupial passenger.


Here is what she said:

When I was driving to Bathurst this morning about 30kms our side of Oberon, I saw a dead kangaroo on the road. I thought I saw something move near the roo so at the next driveway I did a U-turn and went back to investigate. There on the road was a pink little joey. Every time it tried to hop, it fell on its face because it was so young. Luckily I had a jacket with me, so picked it up, wrapped it in the jacket and put in on the back seat of the car.

WIRES here in Bathurst have now picked up the joey. I hope it survives!
Like the koala, the kangaroo carries its young in a pouch until it is ready to get about on its own. Such joeys are called "pinkies" because they are unfurred, giving them a pink appearance.


What happened to my friend is an important lesson to motorists who might pass a dead animal on the road without a second glance. If the animal is a marsupial, there is every possibility that, while the mother might be dead, she could be carrying young in her pouch that is still very much alive...if they are not left to die by the roadside with the mother, that is. Care facilities like WIRES (Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation) have equipment like humidicribs as well as experienced carers who can raise pinkies. This heartbreaking work is not always successful, but it gives the pinky a much better chance of survival than being left by the road to die!

My friend probably saved that baby kangaroo's life!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God,what a story!Poor little one!Hope he'll get well and survive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner Steve Rust and myself visited the SA outback town of Coober Pedy 07 10 to 09 10 2010. We visited a beautiful local gallery "Josephine's Gallery" run by Terry and Jo Brennan - Kuss. The gallery sells didgeridoos, indigenous art, opals, and jewellery. Aside from the gallery Terry and Jo devote all their spare time to their local Kangaroo Orphanage. The orphanage survives on LOVE, help from overseas backpackers and kind donations of visitors, as the young Kangaroos have to be fed a special formula. We were fortunate enough to be there at a feeding time 5pm on 07 10 and I was inspired. At the start of our return drive, I said to my partner if we see a Kangaroo fatality we have to stop. Miraculously, 150 KM south of Coober Pedy, we saw a recent fatality. My partner dragged it of the road, and noted the pouch and movement. Inside was a small joey still suckling! We removed it and wrapped it and knew that it's best chance was to return to Terry and Jo. All the way, I checked the little guy and gently massaged to ensure circulation continued. I'd noted that Terry and Jo have a humid crib donated by the Coober Pedy Hospital. It turns out they only received it a week prior. Little "Lucky" weighed in at 250gms, and his progress is now to day 6. He has a way to go, but each feed is promising and Jo updates her Facebook page daily: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coober-Pedy-Australia/JOSEPHINES-GALLERY-KANGAROO-ORPHANAGE/129284050419402?ref=mf
    I am eager for as many people to know the wonderful work that Terry and Jo do and to join the cheer squad for little "Lucky".

    ReplyDelete